Tuesday 25 October 2011

Why I hate the 1980s (I think)

I've been saying for as long as I can remember - well at least during this century - how much I hate the 1980s. But I know a lot of people think that the '80s were great, so I'm wondering whether I should rethink.

I'm wondering, in particular, whether this is perhaps an 'it's not you, it's me' moment.


Last week, Sounds of the 20th Century got up to 1979. And I didn't enjoy it as much as previous weeks/years. There was still some good music, the historical items were as interesting as always, but the nostalgia factor was gone.

In 1979, I turned 21, left university, and got married. And Margaret Thatcher became prime minister.

Why I hate the 1980s? Two things. Thatcherism. And the fact that I was a grown-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment